Monday, March 23, 2009

What Happens in the darkness, will come out in the light!


Dear Free Market friends,
It was a beautiful day yesterday. The soup that was made by the youth(120 quarts Friday night before) was so well received and loved. One man went out to the curb, opened his up and ate it all, cold. He was hungry. The group home folks helped Terry so much and they are growing in their self esteem and self worth. Paul is really coming out of his shell and he is helping more and more every week, a person who can be counted on, very high functioning. Joseph, an adorable group home man, who has obvious needs, has to be in his late 60's if not older, was empowered by Terry's love for him and allowed him to really give his gifts and talents to making the soup. He has autistic behaviors and I cannot tell you how proud he was of himself on Sat and he took his quart of soup home and loved it tenderly. God is showing us so much each week. Collen read scripture from the Bible James 2 14-20 Read that! We are doing what God calls us to do. Faithfully. JT gave friends a ride home and the lady ask JT "why are you doing this for us?" JT states, b/c God tells me too love you and others. Plus he states, it's helping me to grow in my faith and in my worth to Him."
James, a freemarket friend, who clearly has drug issues, was so angry last week, I tried to talk to him, he's in a lot of back pain, he left last week without getting his food or wares, he came back this week. He was brighter, happier and I asked him why he was so different and he said he was in less pain. He asked me if he could come volunteer, I said sure, but you can't take when you volunteer, but God will fill you with so much more". He began to tear up, his eyes swelled with tears, and I asked him if he had a church home, he said "No, I don't go to church anymore." I said, "James, God will forgive you of your wrongs and accept you as you are if you ask Him to." Tears trickled down his face, I asked him if he'd talk to a Northminster member, he said "Yes". Angela spoke to him about " secrets" and told him she'd sit with him on Sunday, they had a deal. I'm waiting to see if he went. But even if he didn't go, the seed has been sowed. God forgives, he accepts us, we are loved. Life improves on Earth, your seat is guaranteed in eternity.
Each week we see more new faces, faces offering love and acceptance. BJ was new, home from JMU, a dance and theatre major, played the piano at the free market and pulled Taekwon aside and played with him, Taekwon has no father who cares about him, he's drawn to men who could love him. It's a beautiful sight each week. BJ took five minutes out of his time and loved him. Glenda loved on Taekwon, she ask him for his help in the kitchen, she was amazing with him. Taekwon lives in Gilpin court, he has a beautiful mother who some of you know(Paulette) the church has really rallied around her, she's now the custodian of the church and she loves her job, and I love her so much. She is so wise, I asked her if she thinks she'll always live in the projects, she said, "I prayed for this job and God gave it to me, and I pray to get out of the projects, and I know if God wants me out, he'll find a way." I told her I have a lot to learn from her."
The community garden opens in April, which will allow fresh vegetables for the friends of the food Pantry and Free Market, more help and love will be needed, please know none of this is done without loving followers of Christ. You are needed. Wednesday nights JT & Pam o. come over and unload the trailer @ 6:45, help is limited if not scarce. Terry & I work on Fridays with a very few faithful friends, help is needed 9:30-12, it's the only sorting day.
Sat we have so many wonderful friends, 10-12, more leadership is needed to pick up Paneras and show up 30 mins early to set up logistics, it's painless.
This is turning out so beautiful, we are certain it can only be God's doing. It is not hard and the gifts are huge and endless. If you have a story you want others to hear, send it to me. So much happens, I cannot begin to tell you all of it.
I love it all..and it speeds by quickly.
JT, Palmer & I go to Haiti(missionary work) in April, I'm gone for two of the weeks...YOUR help is needed. Please think it over, pray about it. Your commitment does not have to be life long, just hours.
All wares are needed, small furniture, kitchen appliances, housewares, need for silverware and dishes, linens and towels. Toys and shorts for men & children.
Love and thanks to you all,
His Faithfully,
Cassie Matthew
--
Cassie Matthew
"You know you've made it when you don't see color, you see the man."
Yele's father

1 comment:

  1. Bless your sweet heart! Sue J is going to contact you on behalf of us Friday Bible study gals and set up sometime for us to come help.

    ReplyDelete