Thursday, March 12, 2009

Catch & Release


I just finished a terrific book ___"Same Kind of Different as Me", Bobby's mother gave it to me, i really didn't think she even knew me, seems she knows me better than I know her. I am trying to understand urban culture, so I don't put my ideas on them, I can understand their cultures and make personal mental adjustments, not judgements.
Denver states to Ron, "white folks like to go fishing and catch and release, Black folks go fishing and keep everything and eat it all." It seems he thinks we do Ministry like we fish, catch them at Christmas, Advent, Easter, or the homeless in winter or a soup kitchen on Wednesdays......Then what happens...we release...and head on to the next best one time commitment...VBS or 40 days of something, or CARITAS...huh.......do we really want to build relationships? Do we really want to hear their woes, do we really want to know they can't afford water or electric? If we did that would mean time...a long time...family time...a meal together.
I want to go fishing "black folk style". I want to try, I'm not used to fishing that way. I need the help of a savior...I'm afraid.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog, you are so honest. You are doing a great job, much more like Mary, Valerie

    ReplyDelete