Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dreadful Day at the Beach





JT & I went to Buckroe beach last weekend, without our children, they preferd to stay home and play video games, I despise video games. But we were delighted to go alone. However I missed them, knowing we would have had so much fun...delussions of gradure. 16, 11, & 9, mother and father frolicking on the beach. Instead we settled for alone , quite time on the beach just JT & I. After I got over the really "quiet" time we had, I read and just tried to enjoyed the opportunity God gave us. I tried to put the pressures of "we must talk" out of my mind. I prayed and just enjoyed our time. We did state how we wanted to bring the boys back here next week if possible. Low and behold, Sunday comes up, Palmer is not working and we go to church and deiced to make another jaunt to Buckroe, why Buckroe? It's about 45 mins difference, no tunnel traffic and it's fun and easy. At least it has been the last three times I've been.
Well take three boys, a footbll, shovel b/c Davis wants to dig holes, and a cooler of water. I remind them, there were jellyfish there last w/e...but I know it will be fun just the same. No meat tenderizer at home...it will all work out.
NOT. The children were freaked out by the jellyfish, Parker states "you bring us to a beach we can't swim at" Palmer says...5 miniutes into it..."I have sand all over my legs" Davis states "It's hot". I pray and want to kill someone, instead I tell them to go sit in the car..."with the windows rolled up" and when it's time to go, I pray they are alive.
As the day progressed they found their way. I held steady, I prayed silently..Please God let me not kill them for their ungrateful hearts and the rest took care of itself. Football, digging holes, picking up jellyfish and lunch and it turned out "fair". Next time I need to drive further, try harder and know they are children of God. Just wanting a little more from us in the way of giving our time.I think of the children of the city who are sitting on their porch, wishing for a day like this one..one in which someone will take them anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear! I'm feeling a tad bit responsible, as I urged you to go to the beach! Yikes....

    I so understand about dealing with the kids, however. I just had a knockdown-drag out with CJ over the green-eyed monster that's been living in her. Everything is so much better for everybody else. (I know, and this, the girl who's still seeking broken crayons to make new ones!)

    What is it about home and parents that makes kids freak out? As someone who would like to change some things for my kids that I didn't do growing up, I'm finding I can't.

    I talked with God this morning and said, "I know. She needs to be broken. Problem is, much as I try to break her, You're the only one who can--because You know how to reach her."

    So, indeed, prayers, prayers and more prayers. Don't you wish you could catch a glimpse to make sure this all comes out OK in a few more chapters?

    ReplyDelete