Friday, April 16, 2010

What to look for in a man...


I spent the day with Mohamed, a man of great Character, who is one of the recipients of a house we have purchased to get him out of a "boarding home". We can purchase a home, boy I wish we could purchase more and I know we will when God sees that we are good stewards of what he has given us already. I met Mohamed & Todd many times, but at Christmas while caroling at his home for another Fm friend, he touched my heart. We have since become great friends. He's close to my age, trying to be something more in his life. He's made mistakes, like we all have, now he's adjusting to someone giving him a second chance. He's amazingly gracious, and wonders why him? i don't know the real reason, except God has shown me the way. This house was intended for James, but God closed that door, allowing me to see, James wasn't trustworthy or ready for a changed life by Gods' standard. So the house closed on us, James showed his fanny, as we all do in time, we let the house go only to be offered it once a gain to give to another soul who admittedly deserves a second chance. If I had more money...I'd likely give it all away..so I must be patient.
What did I see in Mohamed & Todd? First it was gratitude for nothing, just that we stopped by. They needed food but never asked, we just(I) felt called to go back and give. Over time we developed a friendship, and we began to spend time together, looking for ways to improve their lives. I helped him move his fathers belongings, again he was grateful. He is lighthearted at times, and emotional at others, he's always thanking God, he teaches me so much and recognizes when I'm pushing for more honesty and strength. Todd is quiet, and he says people think I'm dumb..."I'm not.". He's far from dumb, I asked him questions about his life one day and he told me many heartfelt comments, how he missed his father, who died at Thanksgiving...he shared with me one day How he purchased life insurance for himself in the likely hood he would die young, he got for his brother in case he didn't have money for his funeral...What I said..Who does that? He's a little younger than Mohamed but so excited to move out, into a home of his own, that he can care for without the excuse of a landlord who is in it just for the money. It can be his... no one to answer to but he and his roommate.
What I love about what I am doing now, is its causing me to listen more for God, His stories of love and promise from those individuals whose only hope is God...I have much to learn. Mohamed prays a lot around me, i love that, it reminds me to be so much thankful to God for what He is doing in my life.
Yesterday..my mother said..."You hang around so much sadness. How do you do it?" MY answer to her, a non Christian, is "I couldn't be happier!" God brings me so much joy everyday just by throwing myself into what I see as my purpose, a voice and a lover of the unlovely, the unheard, social inequality...I want to fight for someone....Most of all...Glorifying God it what He is doing in my life. I can't wait until next Friday..closing day for Mohamed and Todd. One last note, The "guys"need so much for their home, I went out on a risky limb, asking for big ticket tiems, washer mower fridge...linens, beds, dressers, dishes....you name it...in 24 hours...I had it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is so wonderful, and to put so many loving hearts in my path...I am full today..and can't wait for a back yard BBQ!
God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment