Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Putting God Before the Money






FreeMarket Phillip & Angela decide to Marry. It's a beautiful story, their love for each other i am unsure of how long they have been together, but I have known them from the FM over one year. Deb has read the Bible to them every third Sat for that entire duration, she has been steadfast in her commitment. Over a month ago the market was quiet, Phillip & Angela were their early to help, so we had some quiet time to talk...we are getting married Phillip says...how amazing i add. Knowing that when a couple gets married their gov't benefits reduce, makes no sense to me..but it's a fact. Phillip assures me, that even after making only $23.00 per day due to support he owes, he feels confident He & Angela are doing the right thing in the eyes of God. The story was one of a kind, one I have never heard much about. I read often about poverty, and a symptom of poverty is caused by men not marrying the mothers of their children, that it is a cultural sign of weakness in the uneducated poor for men. Slowly, Phillip decides to be a good witness for his children.
The wedding was this past Sat., I arrived 5 mins late, not knowing where it was...but I wasn't late after all...the wedding coordinators had yet to arrive, the bride was dressed since 1:30, sweaty and shaky, Deb sat in her air conditioned car waiting with the cake Sherri had so generously made. The macaroni & cheese sat on a table by the pews, balloons bounced all around, the preacher read from a script with a difficulty pronouncing the words...Hmmm i think, this is different...different from my wedding. That is what God reminds me...we are all different, and that is just the way He made us...we aren't meant to do things or be the same. So just because the cake was the only thing I recognized as my normal...I am reminded that Phillip & Angela were so happy and so thrilled to be giving their lives to God and each other...that nothing else really mattered to them...and guess what, they saved about $10,000 dollars that I threw away 19 years ago, trying to make the wedding look perfect, never putting God even close to the front. I'd do it all over and have just the same wedding Angela & Phillip had today.
By the way...on the day of Phillips wedding, he announces...."I got a full time job, with benefits from the temp job I've been working at...putting together boxes!" I'm so happy for him... I was blessed to be a small part of a beautiful moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment