Monday, April 12, 2010

Haiti Disater Relief-Mission 2010





Heading to Haiti in the Middle of the week, in the Middle of the night...tensions are palpable. 20 member team,16 have never been to Haiti, 3 teens with a parent, 3 college students, one young adult, three mid thirties, couple of middle age, several...older than 50...diversity with age and ethnicity as well. It was a amazing selection of a group, as if it was pulled for a research study for the APA.
We went to help Earthquake victims we hoped...And so we did. We could feel the tension in the city with those who are hungry, those who are not being served because the govt is afraid. There are tent villages everywhere, there is missionary presence no where. We stayed a week in the suburbs of two different cities, Cite Solie and Terra Norre, never once saw the military, never once saw a second group of missionaries giving our aid, never once saw anyone willing to give of them selves. Even the Haitians won't help each other, it was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. Where is the human spirit of kindness and compassion gone? Where is the barn raising feelings of you help me, we'll help you...it's like America...I've got mine...best of luck to ya'.
The children however are amazing, they literally outworked most of us, for a hug for a jolly rancher for a slim jim for a swallow of American water. We should all be so ashamed, witnessing before us slave trade labor, "I'll work for food." While Haitians able bodies watched as if they were watching a train wreck...but the minute we handed out food to our sweet workers, there are their hands. I could get bitter and angry...I'm not, just disappointed in Gods people who are defeated in a society that apparently very few care about. Where is the Red Cross? Where is UNICEF? Where are those helping the 400,000 living in tent cities, being rained on two nights in a row while I was there....anticipating "The Rainy Season". I've camped one w/e in the "rainy season" it was enough to make me come unglued..and head out of the rainy season.
We worked daily to improve lives by building on home completely, move in ready for one family, change for a life time, joy realized by touching the lives of a family that will go on for ever. We removed the earthquake ruins of two home by the time we left, so now two families will begin rebuilding upon our departure. We left enough money to complete one additional home for yet another family, tricking-ling the benefits of our money onward. We handed out food for those who helped us work daily at our sights, children mostly while so many Haitians teens watched as they would watch a car wreck. Disappointing at times to see the unwavering and unwillingness of people not wanting to help those who have the benefits of American help.
We handed out jolly ranchers, super balls, slim jims, discreetly handing gallon size bags of food to families starving, graciously accepting and giving thanks to God. There is so much to be done, and so little people to help, makes me wonder daily are we doing all we can. Can a few individuals really make a difference? Jesus started off with 12 disciples, I believe Yes...we can make a difference, we just must remain focused on the needs of others and not on ourselves. True giving of ourselves as Jesus teaches us in His Word.
The week ended all too quickly, and our team quickly dissolved into the "American" resolve to get back home, "It's hot, I'm getting eaten alive, I'm tired of beans and rice, I'd do it differently if I led, I have only two outfits to wear, we are running out of water, did you bring band aids, when are we leaving, how much longer, why can't we throw them dollars? I only want to give them two dollars not three,..." The list goes on, could we really be put in a situation where we are uncomfortable for a lifetime, or is it just best to give of ourselves if we aren't asked to be uncomfortable? We have a lot to learn, we have miles to go...but I am grateful to have taken a team of 20 to show them true poverty, true discomfort, the privileged of clean drinking water everyday, a floor with a real structure.
How are you willing to give...are you willing to go without for the betterment our our brothers and sisters in Christ who need us? Only you can say...Jesus says..."I am willing."..Me too. I pray to give more, to have less, to stretch myself beyond my borders and my own comfort zone...I want to stand for something..Oppression among His people. A voice for those who cannot speak. July 21-28 we return to Haiti, will you go?

1 comment:

  1. Cassie, this is the first report I've read from someone who has been in Haiti since the earthquake that has presented another side of the Haitian people that I hadn't heard--that some are not grateful, not helpful in the cause of their own people. I read often of problems at the highest levels, but people not helping their own? The American mentality, as you suggest?

    Tough to read.... Yet, I know you saw the goodness in the children, and maybe it is through those children that there will be change. Jesus knew about that, too. As you have said to me before, you can rebuild their country and fix a lot of things, but....? Does that really fix anything? We're talking about heart change, here.

    Surely, more prayers.... that more and more will see God and speak God and act God! Thank you for your service and outpouring of love!

    ReplyDelete