Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Simplicity of a Thin Mint

Homeless Monday: "Simplicity of a Thin Mint"
Thanks to Stacy Dokos, from NHPC, she donated 30 cases of Girl Scout cookies to the Homeless Feeding Program at 2nd Presbyterian on Monday's.
The cookies were a "Hot Ticket Item" because there are no cookies to give to the homeless from the food bank.(keep that in mind when donating to feeding programs. Although we know we love to donate tuna, beans and peanut butter, the guys and women of the homeless program yesterday went "BONKERS" over three thin mints each. Plus, I swore to my colleagues, I couldn't give them away free or I'd be breaking the "NO FREE BOXES OUT RULE" to anyone. So in compliance, it made the day so beautiful. I'm not really sure if it was to THIN MINTS, or the LOVE that was in the room, but the two equaled a really happy day at 2nd yesterday. For the last four weeks we have all been going (Myself, Robert Morrison, Lena Robinson, and yesterday we added the love of Loretta Wallace), it was like have the dynamic duo plus two with me yesterday. We laughed and we cried, there is really very little the four of us can accomplish alone, but you add Love by listening, and perhaps throw in a cookie and spirits were higher yesterday. I'm so thankful for the trust in given to me to make sure the cookies go "where I say they will go", there is something magic about being honest and authentic with everyone we come in contact with. The homeless pour theirguts out to us, most times its such a harsh story that a hug is the only offer we have, but we give them one. One man said to me, "I haven't been touched in years, I appreciate that my smell doesn't offend you!" ME: "Are you kidding, what is more important than giving away love, that you just have laying around in your heart?"

No comments:

Post a Comment