Monday, April 25, 2016

"Luke" & "Laura": Glen Allen Baptist Answers the Call

CB at Glen Allen Baptist writes:

Well yesterday was an amazing day. Actually the past couple days have been. Nearly 30 people donated to help these folks and we took it down last night. Let me say this, the faith and fellowship from Glen Allen Baptist Church was AMAZING. I will say this, I was beat from running around all day Saturday to pickup goodies. I was so thankful for Paul Tilley, Allen Jenkins, and my father in law to go down with me and help unload. At first "laura" was very standoff-ish and had to think about shaking my hand. "Luke" was there at first as he was coming back from the store with toilet paper. Wish we were a little sooner because they should be set with that for months now. "Luke' and a friend chipped in and help us move things in. We had A LOT of stuff for them. A truck load, Expedition full, and a large trailer with goodies. Full bed with all the sheets and foam pads, blowup mattress, dishes, plates, cups, dinnerware, silverware, couches, dresser, bath towels, hand towels, coffee pot and coffee, microwave, toaster, table, 4 chairs, can opener, cooking utensils, pots and pans, skillets, new pillows, more toilet paper than you can imagine, paper towels, all kinds of personal items, and a HUGE double box serving of baked spaghetti. I think I woke "Laura" up from her spot in the bedroom upstairs. When I came up the stairs with the mattress she cracked a little smile and her face certainly washed over with delight. We told her we weren't through and had more bed items to come. The mattress and box springs were up in the room and cleaned up and when I returned with the bedding and mattress pads she had already moved them into place and had laid out the ultra sound pics of her baby boy. She didn't say anything about them but it was obviously she was letting us know about her special news. By the end of the visit she was talking about the baby and had a full smile on her face. It was an amazing blessing because she is certainly troubled. As we finished unloading and bringing everything in I gave "Luke" some envelopes with other gifts for them. 2 -30 day unlimited bus passes, money for the CARITAS signup, and some letters from folks who donated. On the phone Friday night "Luke" was getting very emotional as I was trying to prepare him for what we had coming down to him. He asked me, can I ask a favor of you? "Could you please give me a list of all the people who have helped us so I can send them a thank you note." My heart melted. "Yes sir, I will do that Luke." When I gave him the list and he realized so many people loved him and wanted to help he was overjoyed enough that I got the biggest bear hug ever!! It was awesome. We ended with a prayer outside of their place and "Luke" joined in. May God watch over these two and keep them in his arms. To God be all the glory!

Cassie Writes:

Amen....I can assure you as I write this line, Chills are running all over by body! THIS MY FRIENDS is THE BODY OF CHRIST, To HIM be the Glory. Let us reach out in love and Kindness, let us remind others we are blessed beyond measure, from this moment I pray we will not only love this couple with our money, we will love them with our hearts, time, and soul. They need LOVE(like we all do) for a lifetime to survive. Loving is sometimes painful, so we will not hurt them with our overindulgence of "THINGS", but commit to loving them with our time. We love them, God heals them.
To Glen Allen Baptist, I am so thankful and super proud of your witness. When you are Called, YOU Move! And thank you for moving immediately, esp. once you met them and saw, they moved from the woods to an empty apartment, and they are children of God!
Loving you all SO much! I know they will be busting! Hoping to see them at "Homeless Mondays!" Not so Homeless anymore!
Love, Cassie Matthew
Thank you to "CB" for taking the ball and running with it. I assure you, you were eternally blessed, and you will never again be quite so afraid!"

No comments:

Post a Comment